‘Headless body in topless bar’ killer parole nixed
Jan 24, 2012, 9:04 PM
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) – Parole has been denied for an inmate whose crime inspired the sensational 1983 tabloid headline “Headless body in topless bar.”
A parole board says it would be dangerous to release 53-year-old Charles Dingle because of his “continued poor behavior” and “disturbing criminal history.” The decision came after a videoconference hearing Tuesday from a western New York prison.
The board notes four disciplinary infractions since his last review, including threats he made last week.
He was convicted of shooting Queens bar owner Herbert Cummings, taking four women hostage, raping one and ordering another to cut off Cummings’ head.
Dingle is serving 25 years to life for murder, robbery, rape and kidnapping.
Dingle told the New York Post in 2010 he didn’t do it. The headline ran on the Post’s cover.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)