Here is an update on the legal issues and stories that are hot now.
Marissa Devault is on trial for her life. She was convicted of first-degree murder for the killing of her husband with a hammer and now the jury must decide whether to sentence her to life or death. Did her emotional plea win her any points? Were her words and tears enough to sway the 12 men and women to take mercy on her?
Debra Milke was one of the three women on Arizona’s death row until last year when her conviction was overturned. She was convicted of the murder of her 4-year-old son and spent 24 years on death row. The lead detective refused to testify in the retrial because he was worried of being prosecuted for misconduct and perjury. Since he is the only one that heard Milke’s confession, the state requested the Court of Appeals force Detective Saldate to testify and the court agreed. Will he refuse to testify? Will he be held in contempt of court and go to jail?
Lastly, Jodi Arias is never completely out of the news. She has a upcoming court date and her trial is scheduled for the fall. Will the retrial really happen?
- Court sets new deadlines for filings in Jodi Arias’ appeal
- Arizona court upholds car-rental tax surcharge for sports facilities
- Three dead, one hurt after car crashes into pedestrians in Fountain Hills
- Extension sought in appeal of Jodi Arias’ murder conviction
- Tentative deal reached over death in Maricopa County jail run by Arpaio