Short Takes is a video feature where you get to ask any of our hosts or reporters about topic in the news and they’ll give you their take on it.
Actor and comedian Robin Williams committed suicide this week and his publicist said he was battling severe depression. About 90 percent of people who commit suicide have some kind of mental or untreated illness.
Arizona ranks 8th in the country in suicide deaths, according to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention-Arizona Chapter. Suicide is the second leading cause of death in our state for 10-24-year-olds. Nationally, 40,000 people commit suicide every year, one every 13 minutes.
Pamela Hughes, who co-hosts 9am-Noon with Bruce St. James on News/Talk 92.3 KTAR, was personally touched by the news that Williams committed suicide based on her own personal family experience.
Here is Pamela’s story and her take on whether suicide is a selfish act:
If you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts please call 1-800-SUICIDE or visit www.empact-spc.com.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- Phoenix Children’s Hospital Give-A-Thon begins Wednesday
- Faith in Humanity: Phoenix-area nonprofit creates magazine to lift up women
- Faith in Humanity: Cleveland restaurant gives former inmates a second chance
- IS attack on Afghan protest kills at least 61, wounds 207
- Arizona tourist town pushing ahead with bridge barrier to prevent suicides