Short Takes is a video feature where you get to ask any of our hosts or reporters about topic in the news and they’ll give you their take on it.
Actor and comedian Robin Williams committed suicide this week and his publicist said he was battling severe depression. About 90 percent of people who commit suicide have some kind of mental or untreated illness.
Arizona ranks 8th in the country in suicide deaths, according to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention-Arizona Chapter. Suicide is the second leading cause of death in our state for 10-24-year-olds. Nationally, 40,000 people commit suicide every year, one every 13 minutes.
Pamela Hughes, who co-hosts 9am-Noon with Bruce St. James on News/Talk 92.3 KTAR, was personally touched by the news that Williams committed suicide based on her own personal family experience.
Here is Pamela’s story and her take on whether suicide is a selfish act:
If you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts please call 1-800-SUICIDE or visit www.empact-spc.com.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains