Short Takes is a video feature where you get to ask any of our hosts or reporters about topic in the news and they’ll give you their take on it.
Actor and comedian Robin Williams committed suicide this week and his publicist said he was battling severe depression. About 90 percent of people who commit suicide have some kind of mental or untreated illness.
Arizona ranks 8th in the country in suicide deaths, according to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention-Arizona Chapter. Suicide is the second leading cause of death in our state for 10-24-year-olds. Nationally, 40,000 people commit suicide every year, one every 13 minutes.
Pamela Hughes, who co-hosts 9am-Noon with Bruce St. James on News/Talk 92.3 KTAR, was personally touched by the news that Williams committed suicide based on her own personal family experience.
Here is Pamela’s story and her take on whether suicide is a selfish act:
If you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts please call 1-800-SUICIDE or visit www.empact-spc.com.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Adorable toddler does his best to identify dinosaurs
- Valley group works hard to help prevent Arizona suicides
- Phoenix Children’s Hospital Give-A-Thon begins Wednesday
- Faith in Humanity: Phoenix-area nonprofit creates magazine to lift up women
- Faith in Humanity: Cleveland restaurant gives former inmates a second chance