Young Dido Elizabeth Belle, daughter of a Royal Navy admiral, is raised by her great-uncle, an aristocrat. Dido is an illegitimate child of mixed-race and finds herself stuck between two worlds — a world of privilege and a world of racism and slavery. She falls in love with a young white man who has hopes she can help end slavery.
I always enjoy a movie that I can take something away from. It’s a fascinating film, based on a true story, which is filled with things that I didn’t know. I think some of the younger actors had a hard time playing their roles, but other than that I found this movie very engaging.
- Jay-Z to bring tour for ‘4:44’ to Phoenix in the fall
- Talking ICE: The human impact of immigrant deportations
- Talking ICE: Immigration raids, sanctuaries, visas create questions
- Arizona residents mark Juneteenth, want more taught about emancipation
- U2 to bring world tour to Phoenix area in late summer