This week, KTAR has the family in focus, so “Legally Speaking” is focusing on a very important family issue — your wills and life care directives. I know this sounds scary and daunting but here is a secret — it really isn’t!
Arizona has made it very easy for you to protect yourself and your family and it is never too early to do this. If you have children you owe it to them to create your will. After all, you want to make sure they are taken care of if you pass and they are under 18 years old. A will can be the easiest and most effective way to do that and Arizona allows you to use a fill-in-the-blank form.
In order to save your spouse and family stress and additional pain, I recommend you complete your advance life care directives. The Arizona Attorney General has put together a life care planning packet that you can print, sign and keep and you can even download it from the website! This packet helps you dictate who makes decisions for you when you are sick and what kind of life-saving procedures you want, or do not want. There are even FAQs to guide you along the way.
The hardest part is making the decision to sit down and get this done. The easiest part is actually doing it. You have worked hard to provide for and protect your family, the simple action of completing these documents will continue to protect and provide for them as well as save them stress and additional grief.
- From Syria to Phoenix: Syrian family shares harrowing story about coming to U.S.
- Fun activities to do with the whole family over Thanksgiving weekend
- Former ‘Lost Boy’ builds new life in Arizona, plans to reunite his family
- Legally Speaking: Jodi Arias prosecutor Juan Martinez should have plenty to say in book on trial
- Candlelight vigil set for family killed in Phoenix-area lake