This week on Legally Speaking I ask the question “is the death penalty worth it?”
In this discussion I explain there is more to the death penalty than the emotional aspects and the end result. Numerous studies have been conducted that indicate the death penalty has no deterrent effect. In other words, the fact that you can be executed does not stop people from committing first-degree murder.
So, why does Arizona have it? It could be because it makes us feel better to know that a person “got what they deserved.” That they took someone from this world so they should not be able to live in it either, the old adage “an eye for an eye.” Some suggest it is for the basic human desire of revenge.
Regardless of the purpose, implementation and execution of the death penalty takes a large amount of time and resources from the initial investigation of the crime to the final insertion of the needle.
Think of the State v. Jodi Arias trial alone — the defense has already racked up a tab of over $2 million (of taxpayer money). That amount does not include jail costs, court costs, prosecution costs, post-trial appeal costs and actual execution costs; and the trial itself isn’t even over. This one example puts a dollar amount on just a small part of a death penalty case.
Take the time and the amount of resources involved and weigh those aspects against the purposes above. Once that is done, you might find that your answer to the question “is the death penalty worth it” is different than at the beginning of the conversation.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Legally Speaking: I-10 shooter suit poses interesting question about suing officials
- Harvard Law study: Misconduct and racial bias found in Maricopa County death penalty cases
- Posting could elevate severity of man’s charges in Arizona roommate killing
- Report: Arizona has the strictest DUI laws in the country
- Legally Speaking: Little progress made in Arizona’s lethal injection court fight