This week on Legally Speaking I ask the question “is the death penalty worth it?”
In this discussion I explain there is more to the death penalty than the emotional aspects and the end result. Numerous studies have been conducted that indicate the death penalty has no deterrent effect. In other words, the fact that you can be executed does not stop people from committing first-degree murder.
So, why does Arizona have it? It could be because it makes us feel better to know that a person “got what they deserved.” That they took someone from this world so they should not be able to live in it either, the old adage “an eye for an eye.” Some suggest it is for the basic human desire of revenge.
Regardless of the purpose, implementation and execution of the death penalty takes a large amount of time and resources from the initial investigation of the crime to the final insertion of the needle.
Think of the State v. Jodi Arias trial alone — the defense has already racked up a tab of over $2 million (of taxpayer money). That amount does not include jail costs, court costs, prosecution costs, post-trial appeal costs and actual execution costs; and the trial itself isn’t even over. This one example puts a dollar amount on just a small part of a death penalty case.
Take the time and the amount of resources involved and weigh those aspects against the purposes above. Once that is done, you might find that your answer to the question “is the death penalty worth it” is different than at the beginning of the conversation.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- Posting could elevate severity of man’s charges in Arizona roommate killing
- Report: Arizona has the strictest DUI laws in the country
- Legally Speaking: Little progress made in Arizona’s lethal injection court fight
- Arizona court upholds convictions, sentences of ‘Baseline Killer’
- Executions on hold: Drugs used in Arizona lethal injection may be unconstitutional