This week on Legally Speaking, I discuss the unbelievable case of the homeowner who shot and killed two teenagers and then claimed self defense. Byron Smith was on trial for first degree murder and according to the prosecution, he baited two teenagers to break into his home so he could execute them.
Smith argued he had every right to wait for the “vermin” to break in and then shoot them until they were dead, even if they were no longer a threat. There are a couple of strange twists to this case that make you stop and question whether a homeowner should be allowed to shoot to and kill.
Arizona recognizes what is often referred to as the Castle Doctrine; however, there is still a line that cannot be crossed and that line is called “reasonable.”
Was he acting reasonable or is he a cold blooded killer?
Note: On Tuesday morning the jury deliberated for three hours and convicted him of premeditated murder.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets