This week on Legally Speaking, I discuss the unbelievable case of the homeowner who shot and killed two teenagers and then claimed self defense. Byron Smith was on trial for first degree murder and according to the prosecution, he baited two teenagers to break into his home so he could execute them.
Smith argued he had every right to wait for the “vermin” to break in and then shoot them until they were dead, even if they were no longer a threat. There are a couple of strange twists to this case that make you stop and question whether a homeowner should be allowed to shoot to and kill.
Arizona recognizes what is often referred to as the Castle Doctrine; however, there is still a line that cannot be crossed and that line is called “reasonable.”
Was he acting reasonable or is he a cold blooded killer?
Note: On Tuesday morning the jury deliberated for three hours and convicted him of premeditated murder.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development