The winds of college athletics is changing. As more and more players speak up, more and more people are changing their minds about the “pay to play” concept.
The NCAA is in a battle right now that is the biggest challenge yet to its authority to operate college sports. Five years ago Ed O’Bannon (former UCLA basketball player) and several other plaintiffs filed an antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA for using the players’ likeness and images in broadcasts and video games without paying the players and pocketing the money. The trial stared Monday.
The results of this trial will have far reaching consequences for not only the NCAA but all Division I college football and basketball players.
Will the NCAA have to pay its players? Will it be able to continue to pocket the money for itself? Will the argument that players are paid in room/board/tuition and degrees win? Did the NCAA conspire to keep money from the players?
These are questions we should have the answer to at the end of the trial. The stakes are huge and the “game” is on the line.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever