This week on Legally Speaking I address the question “can you be fired for being gay?”
Over the weekend the sports world was paying close attention, at least initially, to the NFL draft. Yes, Johnny Football was the center of attention in the first round but the attention in the last round went to not Mr. Irrelevant but to Michael Sam.
You see, Sam was the first openly gay football player in the draft. The St. Louis Rams picked him with the 249th pick. We know not all drafted players make the team, that some never sign a contract and some get fired.
This begs the question, could the Rams, or even the Cardinals, fire a player for being gay? Can a private employer fire someone for being gay?
The answer today will likely be different five years from now with the ways things are changing in our country and with our laws. With that being said, the Rams, and any other team that drafts an openly gay player should be very careful about how they handle any termination.
After all, no team wants a Donald Sterling/NBA situation on their hands.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- Sedona named one of ‘America’s Favorite Towns’
- Arizona’s Secretary of State Michele Reagan joins the show to discuss the election
- Some beer brewers in Arizona may begin to use treated sewage to save water
- Teen who said Phoenix police forced him to eat pot wants answers from City Hall
- Senators: Some mail-in voter registration deadlines defy law