This week on Legally Speaking I address the question “can you be fired for being gay?”
Over the weekend the sports world was paying close attention, at least initially, to the NFL draft. Yes, Johnny Football was the center of attention in the first round but the attention in the last round went to not Mr. Irrelevant but to Michael Sam.
You see, Sam was the first openly gay football player in the draft. The St. Louis Rams picked him with the 249th pick. We know not all drafted players make the team, that some never sign a contract and some get fired.
This begs the question, could the Rams, or even the Cardinals, fire a player for being gay? Can a private employer fire someone for being gay?
The answer today will likely be different five years from now with the ways things are changing in our country and with our laws. With that being said, the Rams, and any other team that drafts an openly gay player should be very careful about how they handle any termination.
After all, no team wants a Donald Sterling/NBA situation on their hands.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development