Think of these scenarios: A defendant is arrested for selling two packets of crack-cocaine. Police search him and find his old-style flip phone, they search it and use the call logs on it to find more drugs.
Another defendant was detained for having an expired vehicle registration and his vehicle was impounded. He was arrested, officers searched his cell phone and found more incriminating evidence.
These two scenarios beg the questions should officers be allowed to search a cell phone without a warrant? This is a relevant and valid question since 90 percent of Americans own cell phones and 58 percent of them are smartphones.
The Supreme Court of the United States tackled the issue of whether an officer can search your cell phone without a warrant. Surprisingly, the justices were in complete agreement with a 9-0 vote.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy