Think of these scenarios: A defendant is arrested for selling two packets of crack-cocaine. Police search him and find his old-style flip phone, they search it and use the call logs on it to find more drugs.
Another defendant was detained for having an expired vehicle registration and his vehicle was impounded. He was arrested, officers searched his cell phone and found more incriminating evidence.
These two scenarios beg the questions should officers be allowed to search a cell phone without a warrant? This is a relevant and valid question since 90 percent of Americans own cell phones and 58 percent of them are smartphones.
The Supreme Court of the United States tackled the issue of whether an officer can search your cell phone without a warrant. Surprisingly, the justices were in complete agreement with a 9-0 vote.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- Gorsuch hearings show him as careful, folksy, testy at times
- McCain, Flake signal support for Gorsuch’s nomination to Supreme Court
- The Latest: Law professor: Gorsuch won’t be ‘robotic vote’
- Democrats threaten delay on Supreme Court nominee
- What led to the Supreme Court’s student disabilities ruling?