Several months ago, Scottsdale fire chief Tom Shannon asked me to emcee his agency’s awards gala that is coming up in June. Ron Wolfley will be the keynote speaker.
Little did I know that accepting the invitation would lead to one of the most intense experiences I’ve ever had.
It was time to be formally introduced to the flashover chamber.
Chief Shannon wanted Wolf and I to have a real firefighter experience and arranged for us to meet at the Chandler Fire Training Facility. The anticipation was like standing in line for a really scary roller coaster. I knew I’d be safe, but I was still sweating — even before I put on all the gear and was placed in a 1,500 degree, smoke-filled metal box.
Depending only on an oxygen mask to breathe, I watched as the smoke turned the small room pitch black and filled it with gasses that caught fire and swirled around me. It was claustrophobic, unbelievably hot, cramped, disorienting and absolutely amazing.
I’ve always had the utmost respect for our firefighters who bravely face danger every day, but after this experience, I think the label “Hero” is entirely appropriate.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- Scottsdale-based Magellan Health ranked among Fortune’s most admired companies
- Main Street Minute: Ottawa University opening a Phoenix-area campus this fall
- Phoenix weather: Cold air funnel cloud appears east of Scottsdale
- Cement truck crashes on Phoenix-area freeway
- Golden retriever puppy training to become avalanche dog at Arizona Snowbowl