Several months ago, Scottsdale fire chief Tom Shannon asked me to emcee his agency’s awards gala that is coming up in June. Ron Wolfley will be the keynote speaker.
Little did I know that accepting the invitation would lead to one of the most intense experiences I’ve ever had.
It was time to be formally introduced to the flashover chamber.
Chief Shannon wanted Wolf and I to have a real firefighter experience and arranged for us to meet at the Chandler Fire Training Facility. The anticipation was like standing in line for a really scary roller coaster. I knew I’d be safe, but I was still sweating — even before I put on all the gear and was placed in a 1,500 degree, smoke-filled metal box.
Depending only on an oxygen mask to breathe, I watched as the smoke turned the small room pitch black and filled it with gasses that caught fire and swirled around me. It was claustrophobic, unbelievably hot, cramped, disorienting and absolutely amazing.
I’ve always had the utmost respect for our firefighters who bravely face danger every day, but after this experience, I think the label “Hero” is entirely appropriate.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Phoenix-Scottsdale listed as the No. 3 location for snowbirds
- Halloween-masked robber with a hatchet robs Scottsdale store
- Northbound Loop 101 closed throughout weekend of Oct. 21
- Main Street Minute: D-backs, bank team up to help school baseball, softball programs
- Gift of life: Phoenix man thanks firefighter son, others for saving his life