Several months ago, Scottsdale fire chief Tom Shannon asked me to emcee his agency’s awards gala that is coming up in June. Ron Wolfley will be the keynote speaker.
Little did I know that accepting the invitation would lead to one of the most intense experiences I’ve ever had.
It was time to be formally introduced to the flashover chamber.
Chief Shannon wanted Wolf and I to have a real firefighter experience and arranged for us to meet at the Chandler Fire Training Facility. The anticipation was like standing in line for a really scary roller coaster. I knew I’d be safe, but I was still sweating — even before I put on all the gear and was placed in a 1,500 degree, smoke-filled metal box.
Depending only on an oxygen mask to breathe, I watched as the smoke turned the small room pitch black and filled it with gasses that caught fire and swirled around me. It was claustrophobic, unbelievably hot, cramped, disorienting and absolutely amazing.
I’ve always had the utmost respect for our firefighters who bravely face danger every day, but after this experience, I think the label “Hero” is entirely appropriate.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- Arizona brewery, ice cream shop to open locations in suburban Phoenix
- Phoenix-area company offers exclusive day tour to Verde Valley
- Dream on: Steven Tyler’s car will be on the auction block at Barrett-Jackson
- Man sentenced for extorting $3.5M from Arizonans after pretending to run from mafia
- Vroom! Barrett-Jackson’s Scottsdale car auction revs into action this weekend