KTAR’s Cooper Rummell and I had the opportunity to hit the Pacific waters with the Sea Samurai, Kevin Nakata.
Kevin had the brand spankin’ new Hobie kayaks dialed in and we quickly hit the water. We were going to fish with live bait, so we spent a small portion of the morning catching the bait fish.
Rough conditions didn’t stop the Sea Samurai. We were fishing hard all morning.
Then, the call came in. A call that EVERY fisherman wants to get. “Big fish are hitting near you…get there now! Kevin instructed us to reel in the lines and get moving!”
We were amazed to watch Kevin changing our rigs while propelling his Hobie like the wind. That’s the beauty of Hobie’s Mirage Drive system — hands free to do what you need to do.
We get to the new spot and Cooper hooks up right away. Kevin helped him make quick work of a trophy halibut. We stayed in that area and it didn’t take much time at all for me to hook up with a halibut of my own.
This is when the magic happened: double hookup! I was about to land my fish when a trophy sea bass started to make Cooper’s reel SCREAM.
Bottom line, trip of a lifetime.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Congress approves bill on Calif. drought, Flint water
- USGS: 2.8 magnitude earthquake in northeast of the Valley
- Generous donations make for another successful Caring for Kids event
- Phoenix-area police officers to rappel down building for a good cause
- The Latest: Teen used metal stick to kill counselor