KTAR’s Cooper Rummell and I had the opportunity to hit the Pacific waters with the Sea Samurai, Kevin Nakata.
Kevin had the brand spankin’ new Hobie kayaks dialed in and we quickly hit the water. We were going to fish with live bait, so we spent a small portion of the morning catching the bait fish.
Rough conditions didn’t stop the Sea Samurai. We were fishing hard all morning.
Then, the call came in. A call that EVERY fisherman wants to get. “Big fish are hitting near you…get there now! Kevin instructed us to reel in the lines and get moving!”
We were amazed to watch Kevin changing our rigs while propelling his Hobie like the wind. That’s the beauty of Hobie’s Mirage Drive system — hands free to do what you need to do.
We get to the new spot and Cooper hooks up right away. Kevin helped him make quick work of a trophy halibut. We stayed in that area and it didn’t take much time at all for me to hook up with a halibut of my own.
This is when the magic happened: double hookup! I was about to land my fish when a trophy sea bass started to make Cooper’s reel SCREAM.
Bottom line, trip of a lifetime.
- Hot topic: This is why Phoenix sees such extreme heat in the summer
- Lyft reports threefold increase in rides over past year in Phoenix
- Live blog: Temperatures will drop a bit this week, let the applause begin
- Phoenix metro area sees increase in car thefts from a year ago
- Magazine calls Mexican eatery the “best 24-hour restaurant” in Arizona