It’s hot…no question about that! But that doesn’t stop a kid.
They’ll be playing in the pool, playing ball, running, turning somersaults…they stay active no matter what the temperature. And we ply them with Gatorade or Powerade to replenish those important electrolytes they’ve sweated away.
But you do know those sports drinks are loaded with sugar, right? While what they provide is important, there are much better ways for both kids AND adults to get those nutrients — and they’re tasty, too!
Dr. Andrea Purcell N.D., from Portal to Healing Naturopathic Clinic in Scottsdale gives us a few of her healthier options for electrolyte drinks.
Here are the recipes:
Juice together 1 cup celery, 1 cup apple juice, 1/4 cup lemon juice.
Delicious! The celery has natural electrolytes.
Real lime juice, cane sugar (Dr. Purcell uses real maple syrup or honey) and water. Then add a touch of salt for electrolytes. Mix to taste.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise