Up to 500 Little League players in Claypool, Ariz., might not have the chance to do what they love the most: to play baseball.
On Friday, a fire which was started by a faulty outlet destroyed a storage facility and all of the contents inside, which included most of the league’s baseball gear.
“It melted aluminum bats, it got extremely hot in there,” said Wes Sukosky, President of the Pinal Mountain Little League.
The fire not only destroyed the equipment, but it created uncertainty among the players who are 5- to 12-years-old.
“They can’t wait to baseball, it’s their thing. On Friday after the fire, my 11-year-old son asked me ‘Dad, are we going to have a season?’ I said, ‘Yes, son, we are going to have a season,'” Sukosky said.
While the league has insurance, Sukosky fears if he files a claim, the children won’t get their equipment in time for the season to start in March. He also wants to avoid having insurance premiums to go up because the cost would be passed along to parents next year.
“If I can do this all on donations, that’s what I am going to do, but there’s no way something like this is going to get us down,” Sukosky said.
If you would like to help the league with equipment donations or monetary donations, call Sukosky at (928) 812-0957.