First off, let me just say one word: WOW.
That’s exactly how I walked away from “Midnight Special” feeling: amazed, amused and astounded.
The film, for those who may not know, is about a young boy named Alton who discovers he has special powers after escaping a religious cult with his father, played by Michael Shannon.
While you might be thinking to yourself, “Oh, I’ve seen a sci-fi movie like that before,” let me stop you right there — you haven’t.
Alton’s undisclosed magical powers are being fought over by several different entities, who believe they can use them for their own benefit.
The movie is about an hour-and-a-half long and, for that entire time, I was on the edge of my seat. In fact, out of five stars, I’m giving “Midnight Special” a four.
Alton, played by Jaeden Lieberher, is absolutely phenomenal for such a young actor and his stellar cast — consisting of Shannon, Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst and Adam Driver (yes, Kylo Ren!) — really help move the film along.
Honestly, pack up the family and go spend your April Fools weekend at the movie theater seeing “Midnight Special,” I promise you won’t regret it.
(And no — I’m not joking.)
- Former worker criticizes conditions at Arizona facility for immigrant youth
- John Travolta, Kelly Preston discuss film ‘Gotti’ with Bruce St. James
- Special Bruce St. James, Pamela Hughes show to focus on gun violence
- Man builds full-size ‘Star Wars’ tie fighter ahead of new movie
- ‘Only the Brave’ stars discuss playing fallen Granite Mountain Hotshots