MESA, Ariz. — Three kidnapping victims have been rescued unharmed and one person has been arrested in the case, police said.
The Mesa Police Department told media outlets the kidnapping happened late Wednesday at an apartment in Mesa and that the victims were later rescued unharmed from a home in Phoenix.
According to police, police said the victims were a 17-year-old boy, a 3-year-old boy and a woman who was their babysitter.
Police also said four people were detained and one was arrested.
The suspect, a 16-year-old male, will not be identified because he is underage. However, police said the suspect was charged on three counts of kidnapping, one count of aggravated assault and one count of a minor in possession of a firearm.
Police say the motive remained under investigation, though it may be drug-related.
The Mesa apartment is on the 500 block of North Mesa Drive. The Phoenix home is located near 32nd Street and Roeser Road in Phoenix.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Phoenix man accused of kidnapping, assaulting four women
- Mesa police officer, 1 other person injured in car accident
- Police find husband with stab wounds, wife dead in Mesa home
- Mesa police find three dead adults in home, appears to be murder-suicide
- Valley law enforcement agencies reporting uptick in drug-related DUI