A serial armed robber is targeting Dollar Tree and Sally Beauty Supply stores in the Phoenix area.
“These people have been traumatized by these robberies,” Phoenix Police Sgt. Jamie Rothschild said.
The string of crimes appears to have started in July 2015.
“It appears the suspect waits in the parking lot and scopes out the business,” Rothschild said, adding that at least four locations have been victimized.
The man sits in his PT Cruiser in the dark, watching the unsuspecting clerk. At closing time, after the last customer leaves, he makes his move. He enters the store, pulls out a gun and demands cash.
Most robbers would leave after getting the money, but not this guy.
“He sticks around and forcefully shoves and pushes the clerk to the back of the store,” Rothschild said. “Then he uses whatever he can find to tie-up the victim so they can’t call for help.”
Luckily no one has been hurt. But Rothschild said this is a scary reminder to anyone working in retail, especially anyone left alone to close the store, to always keep an eye on what’s happening outside, as well as inside.
- Utah couple gives birth to quintuplets at Phoenix hospital
- Another I-10 ramp to close for South Mountain Freeway construction
- Crash shuts down part of US 93, slows traffic between Phoenix and Las Vegas
- This neighborhood has fastest rising rents, home values in Phoenix area
- Phoenix pastor meets with Pence, Ivanka Trump at White House