A serial armed robber is targeting Dollar Tree and Sally Beauty Supply stores in the Phoenix area.
“These people have been traumatized by these robberies,” Phoenix Police Sgt. Jamie Rothschild said.
The string of crimes appears to have started in July 2015.
“It appears the suspect waits in the parking lot and scopes out the business,” Rothschild said, adding that at least four locations have been victimized.
The man sits in his PT Cruiser in the dark, watching the unsuspecting clerk. At closing time, after the last customer leaves, he makes his move. He enters the store, pulls out a gun and demands cash.
Most robbers would leave after getting the money, but not this guy.
“He sticks around and forcefully shoves and pushes the clerk to the back of the store,” Rothschild said. “Then he uses whatever he can find to tie-up the victim so they can’t call for help.”
Luckily no one has been hurt. But Rothschild said this is a scary reminder to anyone working in retail, especially anyone left alone to close the store, to always keep an eye on what’s happening outside, as well as inside.
- Downtown Donut Festival to be held in Phoenix in November
- Mac is back: Best Phoenix-area spots for National Mac and Cheese Day
- Twenty One Pilots to bring international tour to Phoenix this year
- Phoenix Zoo asking public to vote on name of new baby giraffe
- Mistrial declared at neo-Nazi’s murder trial in Phoenix