PHOENIX — Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders’ wife and community organizer, Jane Sanders, visited Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s Tent City on Monday.
Opened in 1993, Tent City currently houses over 2,000 inmates. The containment overall is a borderline inhumane facility for prisoners. Inmates are fed rotten fruit, moldy bread and the temperature reaches 110 degrees.
Jane also planned to meet with victims of Arapio’s raids. The senator’s wife visited and heard from families who have been victimized by deportations, and individuals who have come to this country as unaccompanied minors.
Bernie previously spoke at the Phoenix Convention Center in July 2015, stressing the importance of comprehensive immigration and prioritizing funding in education rather than jails.
Arizona’s Presidential Preference Election is March 22.
- Sessions fires former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe
- Arizona students, Democratic lawmakers push for gun control bills
- Trump: Voters must support GOP in Pittsburgh-area House race
- Bernie Sanders to host Phoenix rally with two Arizona congressmen
- Arizonan could replace Hope Hicks as Trump’s communications director