SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – It’s a big day Thursday for those who love western art.
The west comes alive in Western Spirit: Scottsdale’s Museum of the West, which has its grand opening Thursday near Old Town Scottsdale.
“It’s a museum of the old and the new west,” said Alan DiPerna, the museum’s marketing manager. “The classic cowboy stories we all know from Hollywood films, but also today’s west, with the environmental issues and the diversity of the people who live here.”
There are several exhibit areas in the museum, including:
- 1 .The Scottsdale Charros Gateway Lobby.
- 2. Inspirational Journey: The Story of Lewis and Clark Featuring the Artwork of Charles Fritz
- 3. Pricess and Materiality: The Bronze Artistry of John Coleman with Erik Peterson.
- 4. Fine Art of the American West: People and Places.
- 5. The A.P. Hays Spirit of the West Collection, featuring a selection of saddles, spurs, and other items.
- 6. Will James: Cowboy Artist and Author.
The gallery even has an old Western town movie set.
DiPerna said that the 43,000 square foot, two story museum was the decades long dream of several Scottsdale people.
“The former Mayor of Scottsdale, Herb Drinkwater, was very much behind the project,” said DiPerna. “The founder and director of the project, Mike Fox, has been pushing for this for a long, long time.”
The museum will be open every day except Monday and is located at 3830 West Marshall Way in Scottsdale. More information is available on the Museum of the West website.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments