Raise a glass, folks of the proper age, the Most Interesting Man in the World has retired.
Dos Equis officially bid the suave, silver-haired pitchman goodbye Wednesday, after 10 years in the spotlight encouraging adults to “Stay thirsty.”
His last commercial begins airing Thursday evening. Spoiler alert: there’s a rocket ship and Mars involved in the send-off.
The beer seller is keeping the character in its advertising, just not with Jonathan Goldsmith.
There had been speculation before last month’s Super Bowl that the ads starring Goldsmith were coming to an end.
The campaign about a man even cooler than king of spies James Bond was a hit, generating parodies and a crazy amount of memes online.
Some of the gems from the commercials:
• “His personality is so magnetic, he is unable to carry credit cards.”
• “Even his enemies list him as their emergency contact number.”
• “He is the only man to ever ace a Rorschach test.”
• “His blood smells like cologne.”
• “If he were to mail a letter without postage, it would still get there.”
The man said of himself: “It is true … I taught a horse to read my email for me.”
He also returned every week to a jail in Guadalajara to play canasta with the guards.
Some of the memes were glorious. Here’s a sampling of the online clever, as we say goodbye to Most. Stay interesting, wherever you go, man.
- Main Street Minute: Amazing Jake’s to get makeover, name change
- Main Street Minute: Phoenix has openings for fire emergency dispatchers
- Main Street Minute: Barbecue spot to open in downtown Phoenix
- Theme park resort villages approved for development near Phoenix
- Main Street Minute: Glendale health care campus giving out eclipse glasses