PHOENIX — A motorcycle rider led police on a chase just north of the Phoenix area on Tuesday.
News helicopter footage showed the rider on streets in Anthem and Cave Creek, about 15 minutes north of the Phoenix metro area. The suspect, 35-year-old Robert Waits, then drove through Scottsdale before being caught in Phoenix.
After a few hours of riding Waits ditched the motorcycle in an apartment complex near 19th and Northern avenues about 2:30 p.m.. He was arrested shortly after.
Phoenix police Sgt. Trent Crump said the rider allegedly failed to stop for police in Mesa after being spotted in Phoenix. Police said the motorcycle was reported stolen and had a stolen license plate.
While driving, the suspect appeared to slow down in some construction areas and for stoplights.
Waits was booked for a count of theft of means of transportation, unlawful flight and altering a VIN.
- Glendale police found 13-year-old boy who went missing Thursday
- Motorcycle wreck brings Loop 101 East to standstill in Phoenix
- Case study: Police body cams helping prosecute domestic violence cases
- Phoenix police association to hold fundraising cookout for injured officer
- Missing El Mirage man returns home, Silver Alert canceled