PHOENIX — A motorcycle rider led police on a chase just north of the Phoenix area on Tuesday.
News helicopter footage showed the rider on streets in Anthem and Cave Creek, about 15 minutes north of the Phoenix metro area. The suspect, 35-year-old Robert Waits, then drove through Scottsdale before being caught in Phoenix.
After a few hours of riding Waits ditched the motorcycle in an apartment complex near 19th and Northern avenues about 2:30 p.m.. He was arrested shortly after.
Phoenix police Sgt. Trent Crump said the rider allegedly failed to stop for police in Mesa after being spotted in Phoenix. Police said the motorcycle was reported stolen and had a stolen license plate.
While driving, the suspect appeared to slow down in some construction areas and for stoplights.
Waits was booked for a count of theft of means of transportation, unlawful flight and altering a VIN.
- Silver Alert canceled after missing Scottsdale woman found safe
- Trump rally, protest in downtown cost Phoenix $450K in overtime pay
- Car chase down Interstate 10 ends south of Phoenix, driver in custody
- Police say Gilbert man killed wife, attempted to cover it up
- Kidnapped Avondale boy found safe, suspect not caught