PHOENIX — A poignant image has emerged from protests over a deadly police shooting in Phoenix.
The 9-year-old daughter of Rumain Brisbon was among those attending a demonstration Monday in downtown Phoenix as protesters pushed for greater transparency in the investigation.
The Arizona Republic reports a police officer in riot gear shook the daughter’s hand and said “I’m sorry.” The newspaper also captured an image of the encounter.
When asked about the gesture, the attorney for Brisbon’s family, Marci Kratter, said it was “nice, but it does not bring back her father.” She says, “It doesn’t change things.”
Police were investigating complaints of drug dealing in a Phoenix neighborhood when officer Mark Rine shot Brisbon. The officer mistook a pill bottle in the suspect’s pocket for a gun as the two scuffled.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- One year in, Paul Penzone continues to address ‘culture of hate’ claims
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest stories from past weekend in Arizona, nation
- Palo Verde Middle School teacher gets monthly KTAR News award
- Mac Watson of ‘Mac and Gaydos’ shares story of adopting children
- Arizona lawmaker wants new policies for addressing inappropriate behavior