The airport expects to cater to more than 140,000 travelers each day in March, a 30 percent increase compared to an average 110,000 daily passengers.
Heather Lissner with Sky Harbor said the increase in numbers can be mostly attributed to spring training.
“We get a lot of out of state visitors who come in for spring training games,” she said. “(And) we get a lot of local travelers who are departing for spring break travel.”
For Arizona residents who are planning on escaping the nearly triple-digit temperatures this month, Lissner said it is important to plan ahead and get to the airport early.
“Arrive at least a minimum of 2 hours before your flight departs if you’re flying domestically and 3 hours prior if you’re flying internationally,” she said.
Residents who are welcoming friends and family to come bake in the Arizona sun can pick up and drop off travelers at the 44th Street and Washington Sky Train station, avoiding traffic altogether.
- Phoenix police looking for person suspected of fatally shooting dog
- Phoenix hopes to score touchdown with another Super Bowl push
- Phoenix expected to reach high temperatures of 90 degrees Thursday
- Homeowner shoots armed man who refused to leave Phoenix home
- Phoenix police searching for suspect in 2012 homicide