PHOENIX — Fans looking to check out a Chicago Cubs spring training game in the Phoenix area can get a free lift to the ballpark courtesy of a Phoenix-area mall.
Tempe Marketplace said it would run a free shuttle service between it and the spring training home of the Cubs — Sloan Park in Mesa.
The outdoor mall said it decided to reboot the shuttles because of popular demand. Last year, nearly 7,000 fans took advantage of the free ride.
While the service is first-come first-served, Tempe Marketplace said riders will be assigned a number so they can grab a bite to eat or drink while they wait for their turn. We’re not trying to influence anyone, but Portillo’s Hot Dogs is a Chicago-style hot dog chain located in the mall.
Shuttles begin running about two hours before first pitch and make the trip every 30 minutes. They will run to all of the Cubs’ games in Mesa, which begin March 4 and end March 30.
Riders will be picked up near the Thirsty Lion and Kabuki, both of which are on the mall’s west side.
In addition to the free shuttles, Tempe Marketplace said it is offering all spring training fans special deals at retailers and restaurants with same-day spring training ticket stubs.
- Renovations underway at Brewers spring training facility
- Barrio Queen to open new location at Tempe Marketplace
- Former baseball All-Star Albert Belle arrested near Scottsdale
- Here are some fun things to do in the Valley this St. Patrick’s Day weekend
- Las Vegas shooting victim throws out first pitch at Cubs game