Share this story...
Latest News

Electrical fire prompts evacuation of downtown Phoenix hotel

PHOENIX — Hundreds of guests at a downtown Phoenix hotel had to be evacuated late Saturday morning after several explosions went off in the building.

ABC15 says explosions were heard at the Sheraton hotel near Van Buren Avenue and 3rd Street.

FOX 10 says smoke was seen inside the building due to an electrical fire, but that there are no injuries being reported. The electrical fire reportedly happened on either the first floor or the electrical vault of the hotel.

Shanna Wolfe, a spokeswoman for the hotel, said guests as
well as hotel staff were safe after the fire erupted around 11 a.m.

Dozens of firefighters, as well as some utility workers, responded to the scene.

ABC15 reporter Pete Suratos tweeted that he could smell smoke in the air outside of the building.

Wolfe said some guests who needed to leave or get to their vehicles were
escorted to their rooms to fetch their belongings.

Other guests were given the option of heading to another hotel.

Situated in the center of downtown next to the city convention center, the
Sheraton has about 1,000 rooms and 80,000 square feet of meeting space.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Show Podcasts and Interviews

Reporter Stories