Neil Giuliano is president and CEO of Greater Phoenix Leadership (GPL), the successor organization to the once-powerful Phoenix 40.
He was mayor of Tempe, serving four terms from 1994-2004. Giuliano was the first openly-gay mayor in America and, for much of his term in office, was the mayor of the largest city in America with an openly-gay mayor.
In our first two segments, we ask Giuliano:
- GPL, or its predecessor organization, was once an influential player in Arizona politics. Does GPL intend to return to active involvement in local public affairs? Does this have anything to do with your hiring and return to Arizona?
- What are your ambitions for GPL?
- Do you expect to see GPL or its leadership more directly involved in our politics? In the funding political campaigns?
Especially since leaving Arizona in 2005, Giuliano has been actively involved in gay rights issues on a national level. Between then and now, there has been a sea of change in attitudes towards gay marriage and other related issues.
In our final segment, we discuss his observations on how this came about. Was it the “outing” (voluntarily or involuntarily) of large numbers of gays or other influences?
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- The Arizona Republic’s endorsement of Hillary Clinton
- Diaper bags out, clear bags in: Heightened security moves into Sun Devil Stadium
- Chelsea Clinton to campaign at a rally Wednesday at Arizona State University
- Proposition 206: Will voters increase Arizona’s minimum wage?
- Former drug enforcement officers voice support for recreational marijuana in Arizona