Neil Giuliano is president and CEO of Greater Phoenix Leadership (GPL), the successor organization to the once-powerful Phoenix 40.
He was mayor of Tempe, serving four terms from 1994-2004. Giuliano was the first openly-gay mayor in America and, for much of his term in office, was the mayor of the largest city in America with an openly-gay mayor.
In our first two segments, we ask Giuliano:
- GPL, or its predecessor organization, was once an influential player in Arizona politics. Does GPL intend to return to active involvement in local public affairs? Does this have anything to do with your hiring and return to Arizona?
- What are your ambitions for GPL?
- Do you expect to see GPL or its leadership more directly involved in our politics? In the funding political campaigns?
Especially since leaving Arizona in 2005, Giuliano has been actively involved in gay rights issues on a national level. Between then and now, there has been a sea of change in attitudes towards gay marriage and other related issues.
In our final segment, we discuss his observations on how this came about. Was it the “outing” (voluntarily or involuntarily) of large numbers of gays or other influences?
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- Tempe drew $1 billion from almost 4 million tourists in 2015
- Study: Number of Phoenix millennials living with parents less than U.S. average
- Taking a look back at the storied career of Pat McMahon
- Arizona Dragon Boat Festival returns to Tempe Town Lake for 14th season
- Ted’s Hot Dogs renovating Tempe location, expanding in Valley