PHOENIX — When it comes to unusual food pairs involving fried chicken, Phoenix has it all.
At first, it was fried chicken and waffles — a Southern staple — and now there is fried chicken and…doughnuts?
(Yes, that’s right: doughnuts.)
Welcome Chicken and Donuts, located at 16th Street and Buckeye Road in Phoenix, is a part of the “Welcome Hospitality,” a group of restaurants that includes the Welcome Diner at 10th Street and Roosevelt Street in Phoenix.
Some of the shop’s specialty doughnuts include bourbon apple fritter, chocolate coconut almond and grapefruit mimosa.
Classic restaurants such as Chicken & Donuts in San Francisco inspired partners Sloane McFarland, Michael Babcock and Jenn Robinson to bring the odd pairing of chicken and waffles to the Valley — and needless to say, they haven’t disappointed.
McFarland and team went so far as to renovate an old Kentucky Fried Chicken to house their establishment, according to the website.
So, what are you waiting for? Happy eating!
- Phoenix celebrates Chinese New Year with weekend-long festival
- Valley chefs, restaurateur named as James Beard Award semi-finalists
- Scottsdale’s Beat the Heat race to return in June after five-year hiatus
- Phoenix high school student arrested for bringing loaded gun on campus
- No Phoenix-area freeway closures over President’s Day weekend