PHOENIX — Phoenix police confirmed that a woman was shot to death by officers after she reportedly pointed a gun at them.
The shooting happened Sunday night at an apartment complex near 23rd Avenue and Indian School Road in west Phoenix.
Police said they were called to the area by neighbors who said there was a woman firing a gun by the canal.
Officers tried to talk to the woman, they said, but she ran inside an apartment.
Sgt. Jonathan Howard said police tried to get her to drop the gun but instead she pointed it at them, prompting an officer to shoot her.
The unidentified woman died at a hospital.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Phoenix police ask city officials for new helicopters, airplanes
- US agent in Arizona goes on trial in Mexican teen cross-border killing
- Interstate 17 closes in Phoenix as police talk down suicidal man
- Man killed in Phoenix after shootout with police
- Police searching for missing woman after toddler found abandoned