PHOENIX — Phoenix police confirmed that a woman was shot to death by officers after she reportedly pointed a gun at them.
The shooting happened Sunday night at an apartment complex near 23rd Avenue and Indian School Road in west Phoenix.
Police said they were called to the area by neighbors who said there was a woman firing a gun by the canal.
Officers tried to talk to the woman, they said, but she ran inside an apartment.
Sgt. Jonathan Howard said police tried to get her to drop the gun but instead she pointed it at them, prompting an officer to shoot her.
The unidentified woman died at a hospital.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Arizona attorney general: Phoenix police rule does not violate SB 1070
- Man allegedly forced to eat marijuana sues Phoenix, police
- Police searching for Mesa home burglary suspects [RE-BROADCAST OF 1/21/13]
- Police investigate suspicious item at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport
- Man who exchanged gunfire with Phoenix police now in custody