PHOENIX — Phoenix police confirmed that a woman was shot to death by officers after she reportedly pointed a gun at them.
The shooting happened Sunday night at an apartment complex near 23rd Avenue and Indian School Road in west Phoenix.
Police said they were called to the area by neighbors who said there was a woman firing a gun by the canal.
Officers tried to talk to the woman, they said, but she ran inside an apartment.
Sgt. Jonathan Howard said police tried to get her to drop the gun but instead she pointed it at them, prompting an officer to shoot her.
The unidentified woman died at a hospital.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Phoenix serial murder suspect’s lawyers granted more time
- Phoenix-area child transported to hospital with gunshot wound
- Phoenix police arrest 86 men in human trafficking sting
- Woman dies, 3 hurt in 4-car accident at Phoenix intersection
- Accused Phoenix serial street shooter’s lawyers object to tests