ANAHEIM, Calif. — Officers in Southern California have fatally shot a man suspected of shooting and wounding someone, and firing at a police helicopter that was following him.
Sgt. Daron Wyatt said officers in the helicopter were checking on reports of gunshots in an Anaheim neighborhood Saturday afternoon when they spotted a gunman standing over another man lying on the ground.
Wyatt said the gunman shot a round at the helicopter.
When officers on the ground confronted the man, they ordered him to drop his weapon. Wyatt said he refused, so officers shot him.
A firearm was recovered from the scene.
- Buckeye woman dies after being struck in chest with stray bullet
- Two groups of hikers rescued from Camelback Mountain
- Suspect seriously wounded after officer-involved shooting in Phoenix
- 13 dead in Southern California as rain triggers mudslides
- Tucson to mark 7-year anniversary of shooting with memorial construction