PHOENIX — The destruction, disarray and frustration caused by Arizona’s record-breaking flooding on Monday took national headlines by storm. But many Arizonans found the floods to be a unique opportunity for fun in unusual places.
Arizona’s fierce monsoon was one for the record-books, with around 3.29 inches of rain in Phoenix and about 4.41 in Mesa in the course of just a few hours. The Phoenix area usually gets about 7 inches of rain in an average year.
That onslaught trapped drivers all over the Valley. Interstate 10 east of 43rd Avenue became a pond, stranding dozens.
Both Gov. Jan Brewer and Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton declared Arizona and Phoenix to be in a state of emergency.
Two people were killed in separate incidents when their cars were submerged in the fast-moving water.
School districts, colleges and universities cancelled classes, while utility companies estimated at least 10,000 people were without power.
But even with these losses, some Arizonans saw the water-filled parks and raging washes as chances to find a bright side to the monsoon: water sports.
A few friends decided to go “urban rafting” on an inner tube in a Scottsdale wash, shouting with excitement throughout the ride. Others went jet skiing in a flooded park, while another group cruised on a small boat.
No matter their sport of choice, these Arizonans found a way to have fun in the wake of a difficult day for the state.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier