PHOENIX — The destruction, disarray and frustration caused by Arizona’s record-breaking flooding on Monday took national headlines by storm. But many Arizonans found the floods to be a unique opportunity for fun in unusual places.
Arizona’s fierce monsoon was one for the record-books, with around 3.29 inches of rain in Phoenix and about 4.41 in Mesa in the course of just a few hours. The Phoenix area usually gets about 7 inches of rain in an average year.
That onslaught trapped drivers all over the Valley. Interstate 10 east of 43rd Avenue became a pond, stranding dozens.
Both Gov. Jan Brewer and Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton declared Arizona and Phoenix to be in a state of emergency.
Two people were killed in separate incidents when their cars were submerged in the fast-moving water.
School districts, colleges and universities cancelled classes, while utility companies estimated at least 10,000 people were without power.
But even with these losses, some Arizonans saw the water-filled parks and raging washes as chances to find a bright side to the monsoon: water sports.
A few friends decided to go “urban rafting” on an inner tube in a Scottsdale wash, shouting with excitement throughout the ride. Others went jet skiing in a flooded park, while another group cruised on a small boat.
No matter their sport of choice, these Arizonans found a way to have fun in the wake of a difficult day for the state.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development