PHOENIX — Home, Arizona, is on the horizon for gold-medalist swimmer Amy Van Dyken-Rouen, she told a popular national morning show Friday.
Van Dyken-Rouen appeared on the “Today” show in New York, cheerful and positive as usual, with her husband, former NFL punter Tom Rouen.
“After this week … home,” she said. “The whole time I was in rehab I’ve been preparing for (return home) for sure.”
She said friends of her husband had been revamping their Scottsdale home for wheelchair access and other adjustments.
Van Dyken-Rouen was paralyzed from the waist down in an ATV accident near Show Low, Arizona, in early June. The family had been on vacation. Van Dyken-Rouen said she hadn’t been home May 30.
The ensuing months have been filled with pain, hard work and resoluteness. She set a goal of walking again. “I think I can,” Van Dyken-Rouen said.
She has been working with a muscle-activation specialist who “helped me get back to the Olympics after two shoulder surgeries. Why can’t he get me back up on my feet now?” Photos she posted to her social-media accounts show her upright and taking steps with assistance just a couple of weeks ago.
The accident has reawakened her spirituality. “You’re like, you know what, there’s something bigger and better than me.”
She said immediately after the accident, there was “a whitish, green … hue around me and I felt very, very at peace. I remember just kind of going through it and then all of a sudden I woke up and I’m in the hospital.
“I don’t know what it was … was it the ‘tunnel’? I don’t know.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.