PHOENIX — Home, Arizona, is on the horizon for gold-medalist swimmer Amy Van Dyken-Rouen, she told a popular national morning show Friday.
Van Dyken-Rouen appeared on the “Today” show in New York, cheerful and positive as usual, with her husband, former NFL punter Tom Rouen.
“After this week … home,” she said. “The whole time I was in rehab I’ve been preparing for (return home) for sure.”
She said friends of her husband had been revamping their Scottsdale home for wheelchair access and other adjustments.
Van Dyken-Rouen was paralyzed from the waist down in an ATV accident near Show Low, Arizona, in early June. The family had been on vacation. Van Dyken-Rouen said she hadn’t been home May 30.
The ensuing months have been filled with pain, hard work and resoluteness. She set a goal of walking again. “I think I can,” Van Dyken-Rouen said.
She has been working with a muscle-activation specialist who “helped me get back to the Olympics after two shoulder surgeries. Why can’t he get me back up on my feet now?” Photos she posted to her social-media accounts show her upright and taking steps with assistance just a couple of weeks ago.
The accident has reawakened her spirituality. “You’re like, you know what, there’s something bigger and better than me.”
She said immediately after the accident, there was “a whitish, green … hue around me and I felt very, very at peace. I remember just kind of going through it and then all of a sudden I woke up and I’m in the hospital.
“I don’t know what it was … was it the ‘tunnel’? I don’t know.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon