PHOENIX — It’s Friday, which means the weekend is almost here — but are you worried that it could be your last Friday on the job?
Monster.com says there are seven signs that could mean a pink slip is coming your way.
“The single biggest sign has to do with the relationship with your boss,” said employment expert Jack Milligan of Leathers, Milligan and Associates in Phoenix. “If the trajectory and the tenor of your relationship with your boss has changed, look out.”
If your boss is avoiding you, that’s not a good sign.
Another hint that it might be time to start looking for a new job might be an announcement that your company is merging with another.
“That’s almost always a euphemism for ‘We’re going to take cost out of the combined organization,'” Milligan said. “Since, inevitably, the single biggest cost factor is people, they’re going to reduce the cost of people by reducing people.”
Other signs include:
If you’ve recently been disciplined;
Some of your responsibilities have been reassigned to someone else;
If your company is going automated;
The boss says “no” to you going to a professional development luncheon.
Also, if your company asks you to create a job description for your position, that’s a good sign they’re giving it to someone else.
Milligan said worried employees may be able to get back into their boss’ good graces and keep their job by asking for more duties.
“Volunteer for everything,” he said. “Make sure that the organization looks to you as a ‘can do’ person.”
Otherwise, you may hear those dreaded two words: “You’re fired!”
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain