PHOENIX — It’s Friday, which means the weekend is almost here — but are you worried that it could be your last Friday on the job?
Monster.com says there are seven signs that could mean a pink slip is coming your way.
“The single biggest sign has to do with the relationship with your boss,” said employment expert Jack Milligan of Leathers, Milligan and Associates in Phoenix. “If the trajectory and the tenor of your relationship with your boss has changed, look out.”
If your boss is avoiding you, that’s not a good sign.
Another hint that it might be time to start looking for a new job might be an announcement that your company is merging with another.
“That’s almost always a euphemism for ‘We’re going to take cost out of the combined organization,'” Milligan said. “Since, inevitably, the single biggest cost factor is people, they’re going to reduce the cost of people by reducing people.”
Other signs include:
If you’ve recently been disciplined;
Some of your responsibilities have been reassigned to someone else;
If your company is going automated;
The boss says “no” to you going to a professional development luncheon.
Also, if your company asks you to create a job description for your position, that’s a good sign they’re giving it to someone else.
Milligan said worried employees may be able to get back into their boss’ good graces and keep their job by asking for more duties.
“Volunteer for everything,” he said. “Make sure that the organization looks to you as a ‘can do’ person.”
Otherwise, you may hear those dreaded two words: “You’re fired!”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments