PHOENIX — It’s Friday, which means the weekend is almost here — but are you worried that it could be your last Friday on the job?
Monster.com says there are seven signs that could mean a pink slip is coming your way.
“The single biggest sign has to do with the relationship with your boss,” said employment expert Jack Milligan of Leathers, Milligan and Associates in Phoenix. “If the trajectory and the tenor of your relationship with your boss has changed, look out.”
If your boss is avoiding you, that’s not a good sign.
Another hint that it might be time to start looking for a new job might be an announcement that your company is merging with another.
“That’s almost always a euphemism for ‘We’re going to take cost out of the combined organization,'” Milligan said. “Since, inevitably, the single biggest cost factor is people, they’re going to reduce the cost of people by reducing people.”
Other signs include:
If you’ve recently been disciplined;
Some of your responsibilities have been reassigned to someone else;
If your company is going automated;
The boss says “no” to you going to a professional development luncheon.
Also, if your company asks you to create a job description for your position, that’s a good sign they’re giving it to someone else.
Milligan said worried employees may be able to get back into their boss’ good graces and keep their job by asking for more duties.
“Volunteer for everything,” he said. “Make sure that the organization looks to you as a ‘can do’ person.”
Otherwise, you may hear those dreaded two words: “You’re fired!”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon