PHOENIX — It’s Friday, which means the weekend is almost here — but are you worried that it could be your last Friday on the job?
Monster.com says there are seven signs that could mean a pink slip is coming your way.
“The single biggest sign has to do with the relationship with your boss,” said employment expert Jack Milligan of Leathers, Milligan and Associates in Phoenix. “If the trajectory and the tenor of your relationship with your boss has changed, look out.”
If your boss is avoiding you, that’s not a good sign.
Another hint that it might be time to start looking for a new job might be an announcement that your company is merging with another.
“That’s almost always a euphemism for ‘We’re going to take cost out of the combined organization,'” Milligan said. “Since, inevitably, the single biggest cost factor is people, they’re going to reduce the cost of people by reducing people.”
Other signs include:
If you’ve recently been disciplined;
Some of your responsibilities have been reassigned to someone else;
If your company is going automated;
The boss says “no” to you going to a professional development luncheon.
Also, if your company asks you to create a job description for your position, that’s a good sign they’re giving it to someone else.
Milligan said worried employees may be able to get back into their boss’ good graces and keep their job by asking for more duties.
“Volunteer for everything,” he said. “Make sure that the organization looks to you as a ‘can do’ person.”
Otherwise, you may hear those dreaded two words: “You’re fired!”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns