PHOENIX — Maricopa County sheriff’s deputies are striving to get a Maryvale woman to a hospital after she was discovered to be hoarding huge amounts of objects and animals in her home.
Officials found several cats, dogs and a monkey in the 78-year-old’s house, which reeked of garbage and dead animals. The pets were not well cared-for and will be taken to appropriate veterinary facilities.
The deputies believe there are more cats in the house, but they were unable to reach them because of the house is so full.
The house is located near 59th Avenue and Indian School Road. Those who live near the woman said they suspected her of having mental health problems before authorities got involved.
The woman who lives next door asked not to be identified but said her neighbor often exhibited behavior that was out of the ordinary.
“She’ll look through the windows at night and call my daughter’s name, that scares me,” she said. “Not only that, she’ll be sitting at three o’clock in the morning, pulled up in front of our house, looking directly in our windows and just sitting there, staring, and it creeps me out.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night