A man who was questioned in the disappearance of a missing 8-year-old Arizona girl has been charged with first-degree murder and kidnapping.
Bullhead City authorities said Thursday they had arrested family friend Justin James Rector, 26, in connection with the disappearance of Isabella Grogan-Cannella. A body later identified as the girl’s was recovered from a shallow grave near the home Wednesday.
Rector had stayed with the family for a few days, Police Chief Brian Williamson said. The chief also said they were not ruling out “future arrests.”
The girl’s family reported her missing early Tuesday.
Investigators found no signs of a break-in or struggle at the house.
Rector was booked into Mohave County jail. He has been arrested several times since 2002, including drug possession. He was captured near a discount retailer, where police suspected him of shoplifting.
Officers searched the family’s home Thursday morning.
Williamson said another daughter, a 10-year-old, told law enforcers that she, Bella and Rector had been playing a game at the house Monday before the older girl left the room.
She said when she came back her sister and Rector were gone.
Bullhead City is on the Arizona-Nevada border, about 100 miles from Los Angeles.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night