A man who was questioned in the disappearance of a missing 8-year-old Arizona girl has been charged with first-degree murder and kidnapping.
Bullhead City authorities said Thursday they had arrested family friend Justin James Rector, 26, in connection with the disappearance of Isabella Grogan-Cannella. A body later identified as the girl’s was recovered from a shallow grave near the home Wednesday.
Rector had stayed with the family for a few days, Police Chief Brian Williamson said. The chief also said they were not ruling out “future arrests.”
The girl’s family reported her missing early Tuesday.
Investigators found no signs of a break-in or struggle at the house.
Rector was booked into Mohave County jail. He has been arrested several times since 2002, including drug possession. He was captured near a discount retailer, where police suspected him of shoplifting.
Officers searched the family’s home Thursday morning.
Williamson said another daughter, a 10-year-old, told law enforcers that she, Bella and Rector had been playing a game at the house Monday before the older girl left the room.
She said when she came back her sister and Rector were gone.
Bullhead City is on the Arizona-Nevada border, about 100 miles from Los Angeles.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy