PHOENIX — It’s out of a hospital and into a high school for three staff members at Dignity Health Mercy Gilbert Medical Center.
They will be partnering with five public high schools in Gilbert, Ariz., to provide athletic care for school teams.
“This is an effort to improve and increase the level of sports medicine and athletic training services that are provided in the Gilbert public schools,” said Dr. Matthew Hansen, medical director of the hospital’s sports medicine program.
The new program is designed to be on par with other sports medicine programs offered at the collegiate level.
“Part of that is having the right numbers of athletic trainers to care for student athletes, but also having the right specialist and sub-specialists to care for them as well,” Hansen said.
More than 4,000 high school athletes in the Gilbert School District will benefit from the program.
“We see this as a comprehensive health care environment for the students,” he added.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night