PHOENIX — While the Islamic terrorist group ISIS uses gruesome tactics to try and engage Americans into another war, Arizona State University and Washington, D.C.-based think tank New America Foundation are pairing up to engage Americans on the issues long before a conflict begins to brew.
“We’re working collaboratively,” said ASU political human rights and global studies professor Daniel Rothenberg. “There’s a team of folks based in D.C. and really significant journalists working on national security issues (and) a number of former U.S. military officials.”
He noted David Kilcullen among the experts. Kilcullen was the counterinsurgency adviser to Gen. David Petraeus during the Iraq conflict in 2007 and 2008.
But just where does ASU come in?
“We’re linking in faculty from as many different (ASU) programs as possible, because our engagement with the future of war is profoundly interdisciplinary,” he explained.
Rothenberg is co-directing the project with Peter Bergen, New America’s vice pesident. The two are comparing real world experience with scholarly research on anything related “from policies in political science and emerging technologies, such as drones, to increased surveillance capacities.”
The ultimate objective is to look at solutions on a scholarly level and share what they find with Congress, policy makers and the media to resolve conflicts before there is a war.
Rothenberg and Bergen recently collaborated on a book entitled “Drone Wars,” which goes on sale in November. The two are also teaching a class together at ASU.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.