PHOENIX — While the Islamic terrorist group ISIS uses gruesome tactics to try and engage Americans into another war, Arizona State University and Washington, D.C.-based think tank New America Foundation are pairing up to engage Americans on the issues long before a conflict begins to brew.
“We’re working collaboratively,” said ASU political human rights and global studies professor Daniel Rothenberg. “There’s a team of folks based in D.C. and really significant journalists working on national security issues (and) a number of former U.S. military officials.”
He noted David Kilcullen among the experts. Kilcullen was the counterinsurgency adviser to Gen. David Petraeus during the Iraq conflict in 2007 and 2008.
But just where does ASU come in?
“We’re linking in faculty from as many different (ASU) programs as possible, because our engagement with the future of war is profoundly interdisciplinary,” he explained.
Rothenberg is co-directing the project with Peter Bergen, New America’s vice pesident. The two are comparing real world experience with scholarly research on anything related “from policies in political science and emerging technologies, such as drones, to increased surveillance capacities.”
The ultimate objective is to look at solutions on a scholarly level and share what they find with Congress, policy makers and the media to resolve conflicts before there is a war.
Rothenberg and Bergen recently collaborated on a book entitled “Drone Wars,” which goes on sale in November. The two are also teaching a class together at ASU.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again