PHOENIX — One local travel expert says at least one airline is pushing for a new way to cram more passengers onto its already crowded planes.
Louie Thiele, of KTAR News’ “The Travel Show,” said United Kingdom-based Orion airlines may have something up its sleeve.
“The Orion air guy has been after a patent (for) standing room in the planes,” he said. “It includes having some kind of a bicycle seat that you brace against and you’re strapped to a pole and standing up for the whole flight. He wants to put even more people on the plane.”
Meanwhile, Thiele said the airlines don’t seem to care about the lack of legroom on their planes and are not likely to add to it. There have been three recent incidents where a lack of space between seats has led to confrontations between airline passengers.
“The only thing the airlines look at is daily revenue and the price of fuel,” explained Thiele. “The price of fuel could get worse, and this situation could get worse, believe it or not.”
Thiele added that with the price of fuel, it’s all about the bottom line.
“The airlines are long past caring about passenger comfort, unless you’re willing to pay for first class or business class on an international flight,” he said.
He also remembered a comment from an airline industry executive talking about why there are more seats and less leg room on the plane.
“I once was at a conference and heard the president of American Airlines at the time say, ‘Passengers get the seats that they deserve,'” he said. “He meant that passengers don’t want to pay higher prices, so we’re going to have to put more seats on the plane because of higher fuel prices or whatever.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon