PHOENIX — One local travel expert says at least one airline is pushing for a new way to cram more passengers onto its already crowded planes.
Louie Thiele, of KTAR News’ “The Travel Show,” said United Kingdom-based Orion airlines may have something up its sleeve.
“The Orion air guy has been after a patent (for) standing room in the planes,” he said. “It includes having some kind of a bicycle seat that you brace against and you’re strapped to a pole and standing up for the whole flight. He wants to put even more people on the plane.”
Meanwhile, Thiele said the airlines don’t seem to care about the lack of legroom on their planes and are not likely to add to it. There have been three recent incidents where a lack of space between seats has led to confrontations between airline passengers.
“The only thing the airlines look at is daily revenue and the price of fuel,” explained Thiele. “The price of fuel could get worse, and this situation could get worse, believe it or not.”
Thiele added that with the price of fuel, it’s all about the bottom line.
“The airlines are long past caring about passenger comfort, unless you’re willing to pay for first class or business class on an international flight,” he said.
He also remembered a comment from an airline industry executive talking about why there are more seats and less leg room on the plane.
“I once was at a conference and heard the president of American Airlines at the time say, ‘Passengers get the seats that they deserve,'” he said. “He meant that passengers don’t want to pay higher prices, so we’re going to have to put more seats on the plane because of higher fuel prices or whatever.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments