PHOENIX — One local travel expert says at least one airline is pushing for a new way to cram more passengers onto its already crowded planes.
Louie Thiele, of KTAR News’ “The Travel Show,” said United Kingdom-based Orion airlines may have something up its sleeve.
“The Orion air guy has been after a patent (for) standing room in the planes,” he said. “It includes having some kind of a bicycle seat that you brace against and you’re strapped to a pole and standing up for the whole flight. He wants to put even more people on the plane.”
Meanwhile, Thiele said the airlines don’t seem to care about the lack of legroom on their planes and are not likely to add to it. There have been three recent incidents where a lack of space between seats has led to confrontations between airline passengers.
“The only thing the airlines look at is daily revenue and the price of fuel,” explained Thiele. “The price of fuel could get worse, and this situation could get worse, believe it or not.”
Thiele added that with the price of fuel, it’s all about the bottom line.
“The airlines are long past caring about passenger comfort, unless you’re willing to pay for first class or business class on an international flight,” he said.
He also remembered a comment from an airline industry executive talking about why there are more seats and less leg room on the plane.
“I once was at a conference and heard the president of American Airlines at the time say, ‘Passengers get the seats that they deserve,'” he said. “He meant that passengers don’t want to pay higher prices, so we’re going to have to put more seats on the plane because of higher fuel prices or whatever.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier