TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona State University officially opened the College Avenue Commons near College Avenue and University Drive on Wednesday morning.
The new building will be the home of ASU’s Del E. Webb School of Construction.
“It’s about 137,000 square feet and a $54 million investment for the university,” said ASU Executive Vice President Morgan Olsen. “It is designed to host our Fulton School of Engineering Unit that teaches about sustainability and construction.”
Olsen called the College Avenue Commons a great addition to the university. Despite Wednesday’s ribbon-cutting, classes began in the building last week.
“There are about 400 students who are taking classes at any given time in this building, and there’s a larger number who will take classes over the course of a week,” he said. “ASU has 17,000 engineering students, so I imagine that, at one time or another, a good portion of those will experience at least one class inside this facility.”
College Avenue Commons also houses the Sun Devil Welcome center. About 10,000 high school and community college students who are considering attending ASU will begin campus tours in the building.
Olsen said the new structure will play home to more than classrooms. Several restaurants, including a new Postino location, will open soon. There’s also a small and a clothing and gift store on the first floor. The second floor offers Pitchforks & Corks, a coffee and wine bar that overlooks College Avenue.
“At night or on the weekend, I can come over here and have a bite to eat,” he said. “If you come to a Sun Devil sporting event, this a great place to come either during the pre-game or post-game.”
The Commons will host a pregame party for home football games.
“We will be providing shade, there will be misters, there will be tables and chairs, a food truck,” said Angela Creedon with ASU. “We’ll have a (disk jockey), music and various lawn games for family-friendly activities.”
The building offers outdoor space that features balconies with drop-down video screens, a deck and patios.
KTAR’s Lauren Grifo contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets