PHOENIX — The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that electric carmaker Tesla Motors has chosen Nevada for its battery plant.
Arizona was among the five states competing for the facility. Two groups in the state tried to lure the California-based company with letters talking up Arizona’s tax system and other incentives.
One of the March letters was signed by Rep. Paul Gosar and the rest of the House’s Arizona contingent, while the other letter was signed by mayors of Valley cities.
The “Gigafactory” could mean 6,500 jobs.
In a statement, Tesla didn’t confirm the deal but did say it was looking forward to meeting with Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval on Thursday for a major announcement.
Other states in the running were California, New Mexico and Texas.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night