PHOENIX — The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that electric carmaker Tesla Motors has chosen Nevada for its battery plant.
Arizona was among the five states competing for the facility. Two groups in the state tried to lure the California-based company with letters talking up Arizona’s tax system and other incentives.
One of the March letters was signed by Rep. Paul Gosar and the rest of the House’s Arizona contingent, while the other letter was signed by mayors of Valley cities.
The “Gigafactory” could mean 6,500 jobs.
In a statement, Tesla didn’t confirm the deal but did say it was looking forward to meeting with Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval on Thursday for a major announcement.
Other states in the running were California, New Mexico and Texas.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier