PHOENIX — A north Tempe intersection was underwater Wednesday after a water main break.
“The water main break is a large one and there is significant flooding in the area,” said Tempe Police Lt. Scott Smith.
The break near Apache Boulevard and McClintock Drive created a small sinkhole that trapped a city bus about 10:15 a.m. All the passengers were safely evacuated. No one was injured.
It took crews more than an hour to shut off the water and several hours to remove the bus.
Officials urged drivers to avoid the area. Northbound McClintock was closed at Broadway Road and southbound was closed at Don Carlos. Delays are expected. There was no timetable to reopen the road.
FYI for commuters, light rail traffic has not been impacted by water main break and trains are still in operation.
— Tempe Police & Fire (@TempePoliceFire) September 3, 2014
Authorities say the cause of the water main break hasn’t been determined yet
but it’s most likely due to the age of the infrastructure.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns