PHOENIX — A north Tempe intersection was underwater Wednesday after a water main break.
“The water main break is a large one and there is significant flooding in the area,” said Tempe Police Lt. Scott Smith.
The break near Apache Boulevard and McClintock Drive created a small sinkhole that trapped a city bus about 10:15 a.m. All the passengers were safely evacuated. No one was injured.
It took crews more than an hour to shut off the water and several hours to remove the bus.
Officials urged drivers to avoid the area. Northbound McClintock was closed at Broadway Road and southbound was closed at Don Carlos. Delays are expected. There was no timetable to reopen the road.
FYI for commuters, light rail traffic has not been impacted by water main break and trains are still in operation.
— Tempe Police & Fire (@TempePoliceFire) September 3, 2014
Authorities say the cause of the water main break hasn’t been determined yet
but it’s most likely due to the age of the infrastructure.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips