PHOENIX — A north Tempe intersection was underwater Wednesday after a water main break.
“The water main break is a large one and there is significant flooding in the area,” said Tempe Police Lt. Scott Smith.
The break near Apache Boulevard and McClintock Drive created a small sinkhole that trapped a city bus about 10:15 a.m. All the passengers were safely evacuated. No one was injured.
It took crews more than an hour to shut off the water and several hours to remove the bus.
Officials urged drivers to avoid the area. Northbound McClintock was closed at Broadway Road and southbound was closed at Don Carlos. Delays are expected. There was no timetable to reopen the road.
FYI for commuters, light rail traffic has not been impacted by water main break and trains are still in operation.
— Tempe Police & Fire (@TempePoliceFire) September 3, 2014
Authorities say the cause of the water main break hasn’t been determined yet
but it’s most likely due to the age of the infrastructure.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night