PHOENIX — Another Valley arena will soon be sporting a new name.
The Phoenix Suns confirmed reports Wednesday that US Airways Center would be no more, a few weeks after the Arizona Coyotes announced Jobing.com Arena would switch to Gila River Arena.
Suns President Jason Rowley said the airline, in the process of merging with American Airlines, did not opt to renew naming rights.
The team has been aware of the decision and is searching for a new naming rights partner.
“This isn’t coming as any surprise to us,” Rowley said. “American Airlines has two other NBA arenas across the country that they already have naming rights on.”
The airline, which owns naming rights of arenas in Dallas and Miami, decided it made no sense from a marketing standpoint to have three buildings. Rowley said the parting was amicable and the organization is excited to hear offers.
“We’re actually pretty excited to be able to go out to market and find a new partner,” he said, adding that the team has already received inquiries.
The deal with US Airways does not expire until October 2015. Rowley said the team plans to take its time before signing off on a deal.
“We’re not going to rush ourselves,” he said. “We’re going to do it right and find a partner that works for us, works for the city of Phoenix and reflects well on our brand and the community.”
The new name will be the arena’s third. It was branded America West Arena when it opened in 1992 and was changed to US Airways Center in 2005.
In addition to the Suns, the arena is also home to the Phoenix Mercury and hosts concerts.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper contributed to this report.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments