PHOENIX — Another Valley arena will soon be sporting a new name.
The Phoenix Suns confirmed reports Wednesday that US Airways Center would be no more, a few weeks after the Arizona Coyotes announced Jobing.com Arena would switch to Gila River Arena.
Suns President Jason Rowley said the airline, in the process of merging with American Airlines, did not opt to renew naming rights.
The team has been aware of the decision and is searching for a new naming rights partner.
“This isn’t coming as any surprise to us,” Rowley said. “American Airlines has two other NBA arenas across the country that they already have naming rights on.”
The airline, which owns naming rights of arenas in Dallas and Miami, decided it made no sense from a marketing standpoint to have three buildings. Rowley said the parting was amicable and the organization is excited to hear offers.
“We’re actually pretty excited to be able to go out to market and find a new partner,” he said, adding that the team has already received inquiries.
The deal with US Airways does not expire until October 2015. Rowley said the team plans to take its time before signing off on a deal.
“We’re not going to rush ourselves,” he said. “We’re going to do it right and find a partner that works for us, works for the city of Phoenix and reflects well on our brand and the community.”
The new name will be the arena’s third. It was branded America West Arena when it opened in 1992 and was changed to US Airways Center in 2005.
In addition to the Suns, the arena is also home to the Phoenix Mercury and hosts concerts.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier