PHOENIX — Another Valley arena will soon be sporting a new name.
The Phoenix Suns confirmed reports Wednesday that US Airways Center would be no more, a few weeks after the Arizona Coyotes announced Jobing.com Arena would switch to Gila River Arena.
Suns President Jason Rowley said the airline, in the process of merging with American Airlines, did not opt to renew naming rights.
The team has been aware of the decision and is searching for a new naming rights partner.
“This isn’t coming as any surprise to us,” Rowley said. “American Airlines has two other NBA arenas across the country that they already have naming rights on.”
The airline, which owns naming rights of arenas in Dallas and Miami, decided it made no sense from a marketing standpoint to have three buildings. Rowley said the parting was amicable and the organization is excited to hear offers.
“We’re actually pretty excited to be able to go out to market and find a new partner,” he said, adding that the team has already received inquiries.
The deal with US Airways does not expire until October 2015. Rowley said the team plans to take its time before signing off on a deal.
“We’re not going to rush ourselves,” he said. “We’re going to do it right and find a partner that works for us, works for the city of Phoenix and reflects well on our brand and the community.”
The new name will be the arena’s third. It was branded America West Arena when it opened in 1992 and was changed to US Airways Center in 2005.
In addition to the Suns, the arena is also home to the Phoenix Mercury and hosts concerts.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development