PHOENIX — Susan Aavang has been fishing most of her life, but what she caught in a Phoenix lake last weekend still surprised her.
She’d hooked a fish that had humanlike teeth, a fish not normally found on this continent.
A few weeks before that, Aavang’s brother caught a similar fish using hot dogs as bait. Although he released the fish back in the lake near an Ahwatukee elementary school, Aavang started using the same bait to try to catch the fish again.
“All of sudden something attacked the bait,” she told AZ Family. “I could tell it was on the hook. I started pulling it in, pulling it in.”
Once the fish was secured on shore, Aavang knew that although this wasn’t her brother’s fish, it was the same type: a pacu, usually found in South America and cousin to the piranha.
When she was showing off her catch to neighbors, one of them poked a straw into its mouth to see what would happen.
Still alive, the fish snapped down on the straw.
“It grabbed the straw and I was done playing,” Ken Lubic said with a smile.
Aavang’s fish isn’t the first pacu found in Arizona — they are sometimes set free in local lakes after being purchased for fish tanks.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon