PHOENIX — The seventh floor of Phoenix Children’s Hospital became a barber shop Tuesday to promote Cancer Awareness Month.
Doctors and nurses could only laugh or grimace as their young cancer patients played barber and shaved off staffers’ coiffs in a show of support for cancer awareness and the kids.
Nurse Chris Oless held a sign that read, “Hair is overrated” as his 8-year-old patient, Orey, acted as his barber.
“Orey has no idea what life without cancer is,” Oless said. “Unfortunately, he relapsed after his first go at trying to battle with leukemia. He’s one of my patients with leukemia. He goes on and just continue living his life, and I consider him as one of my heroes.”
Orey liked shaving Oless’ head. “It was fun,” the boy said.
But Orey admitted that cutting part of Oless’ hair was tough.
“It was mostly the top part, because it was kind of hard to get to it.”
Oless hopes events, like Tuesday’s head shaving, raise cancer awareness and lead to a cure for Orey.
“I’m hoping to put myself out of a job, basically,” he said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them