PHOENIX — The seventh floor of Phoenix Children’s Hospital became a barber shop Tuesday to promote Cancer Awareness Month.
Doctors and nurses could only laugh or grimace as their young cancer patients played barber and shaved off staffers’ coiffs in a show of support for cancer awareness and the kids.
Nurse Chris Oless held a sign that read, “Hair is overrated” as his 8-year-old patient, Orey, acted as his barber.
“Orey has no idea what life without cancer is,” Oless said. “Unfortunately, he relapsed after his first go at trying to battle with leukemia. He’s one of my patients with leukemia. He goes on and just continue living his life, and I consider him as one of my heroes.”
Orey liked shaving Oless’ head. “It was fun,” the boy said.
But Orey admitted that cutting part of Oless’ hair was tough.
“It was mostly the top part, because it was kind of hard to get to it.”
Oless hopes events, like Tuesday’s head shaving, raise cancer awareness and lead to a cure for Orey.
“I’m hoping to put myself out of a job, basically,” he said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development