PHOENIX — The seventh floor of Phoenix Children’s Hospital became a barber shop Tuesday to promote Cancer Awareness Month.
Doctors and nurses could only laugh or grimace as their young cancer patients played barber and shaved off staffers’ coiffs in a show of support for cancer awareness and the kids.
Nurse Chris Oless held a sign that read, “Hair is overrated” as his 8-year-old patient, Orey, acted as his barber.
“Orey has no idea what life without cancer is,” Oless said. “Unfortunately, he relapsed after his first go at trying to battle with leukemia. He’s one of my patients with leukemia. He goes on and just continue living his life, and I consider him as one of my heroes.”
Orey liked shaving Oless’ head. “It was fun,” the boy said.
But Orey admitted that cutting part of Oless’ hair was tough.
“It was mostly the top part, because it was kind of hard to get to it.”
Oless hopes events, like Tuesday’s head shaving, raise cancer awareness and lead to a cure for Orey.
“I’m hoping to put myself out of a job, basically,” he said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America