PHOENIX — Phoenix police shot and killed a man who opened fire on neighbors, officers and a police helicopter Monday night.
No one else was harmed.
Two officers responded to a call about possible shots fired near 15th Avenue just north of Bethany Home Road around 10 p.m. When they went to a home where they believed the shots were coming from, a man across the street opened fire with a rifle.
The officers took cover behind a truck until two other officers were able to make their way to a rooftop, where they shot and killed the suspect, a 55-year-old man. Officer James Holmes said the suspect fired 10-20 shots at police.
The suspect also shot at a police helicopter. The chopper wasn’t hit but was forced to land near Christown Mall as a precaution.
Police said a check of the man’s house turned up three rifles and two handguns on his porch.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food