PHOENIX — Phoenix police shot and killed a man who opened fire on neighbors, officers and a police helicopter Monday night.
No one else was harmed.
Two officers responded to a call about possible shots fired near 15th Avenue just north of Bethany Home Road around 10 p.m. When they went to a home where they believed the shots were coming from, a man across the street opened fire with a rifle.
The officers took cover behind a truck until two other officers were able to make their way to a rooftop, where they shot and killed the suspect, a 55-year-old man. Officer James Holmes said the suspect fired 10-20 shots at police.
The suspect also shot at a police helicopter. The chopper wasn’t hit but was forced to land near Christown Mall as a precaution.
Police said a check of the man’s house turned up three rifles and two handguns on his porch.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night