PHOENIX — Phoenix police shot and killed a man who opened fire on neighbors, officers and a police helicopter Monday night.
No one else was harmed.
Two officers responded to a call about possible shots fired near 15th Avenue just north of Bethany Home Road around 10 p.m. When they went to a home where they believed the shots were coming from, a man across the street opened fire with a rifle.
The officers took cover behind a truck until two other officers were able to make their way to a rooftop, where they shot and killed the suspect, a 55-year-old man. Officer James Holmes said the suspect fired 10-20 shots at police.
The suspect also shot at a police helicopter. The chopper wasn’t hit but was forced to land near Christown Mall as a precaution.
Police said a check of the man’s house turned up three rifles and two handguns on his porch.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America