PHOENIX — You likely noticed, but in case you haven’t, the Phoenix area experienced two very different Augusts in the past two years.
Last year, it was hot — think average highs about 105 degrees hot. Though it was nothing compared to June 2013 or the record heat in August 2011 when we basically lived in an oven, August 2013 was certainly no picnic. With a high number of thunderstorms and little rain, the Valley saw a hot summer wrapped in monsoon humidity.
Jump ahead to August 2014, and it’s another story. This month has seen several days slip under 100 degrees and two torrential downpours that caused flooding near South Mountain and the north Valley, respectively.
All that rain brought Valley temperatures down an average of three degrees per day. It may not sound like much, but factor in the difference between cooler nights, lower highs and powerful storms, and we’ve had a more comfortable August, relatively speaking.
Check out more stats about August 2013 versus August 2014 below.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier