PHOENIX — You likely noticed, but in case you haven’t, the Phoenix area experienced two very different Augusts in the past two years.
Last year, it was hot — think average highs about 105 degrees hot. Though it was nothing compared to June 2013 or the record heat in August 2011 when we basically lived in an oven, August 2013 was certainly no picnic. With a high number of thunderstorms and little rain, the Valley saw a hot summer wrapped in monsoon humidity.
Jump ahead to August 2014, and it’s another story. This month has seen several days slip under 100 degrees and two torrential downpours that caused flooding near South Mountain and the north Valley, respectively.
All that rain brought Valley temperatures down an average of three degrees per day. It may not sound like much, but factor in the difference between cooler nights, lower highs and powerful storms, and we’ve had a more comfortable August, relatively speaking.
Check out more stats about August 2013 versus August 2014 below.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them