PHOENIX — Arizona authorities made more DUI arrests over Labor Day weekend than they did during the same holiday weekend in 2013.
The Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety (GOHS) said 582 DUI arrests were made in the state between Aug. 28 and the morning of Sept. 1. That’s up from the 503 DUI arrests made last year. Authorities made about 500 more traffic stops this year than they did in 2013.
The number of aggravated DUI arrests (61) were down this year compared to last (74), but DUI misdemeanors were much higher (521 to 429). Additionally the number of extreme DUI arrest (when blood-alcohol content is .15 or higher) was up slightly this year (174 to 161), as were DUI drug arrests (103 to 85).
The most startling spike was the number of under-21 liquor law citations, which jumped from 82 last year to 159 over this Labor Day weekend.
However, the number of other citations — such as speeding tickets — dropped from 5,591 to 6,848.
The state had slightly more participating officers and deputies this year than it did last year (1,992 to 1,943).
“These statistics are the result of the dedication and training of police and highway patrol officers, sheriff deputies, volunteers, and other law enforcement personnel that comprise the DUI task forces throughout Arizona,” the GOHS release said. “Our goal is to reduce crashes, fatalities and injuries on our streets and highways by enforcing DUI and traffic laws in our state.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development