PHOENIX — Arizona authorities made more DUI arrests over Labor Day weekend than they did during the same holiday weekend in 2013.
The Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety (GOHS) said 582 DUI arrests were made in the state between Aug. 28 and the morning of Sept. 1. That’s up from the 503 DUI arrests made last year. Authorities made about 500 more traffic stops this year than they did in 2013.
The number of aggravated DUI arrests (61) were down this year compared to last (74), but DUI misdemeanors were much higher (521 to 429). Additionally the number of extreme DUI arrest (when blood-alcohol content is .15 or higher) was up slightly this year (174 to 161), as were DUI drug arrests (103 to 85).
The most startling spike was the number of under-21 liquor law citations, which jumped from 82 last year to 159 over this Labor Day weekend.
However, the number of other citations — such as speeding tickets — dropped from 5,591 to 6,848.
The state had slightly more participating officers and deputies this year than it did last year (1,992 to 1,943).
“These statistics are the result of the dedication and training of police and highway patrol officers, sheriff deputies, volunteers, and other law enforcement personnel that comprise the DUI task forces throughout Arizona,” the GOHS release said. “Our goal is to reduce crashes, fatalities and injuries on our streets and highways by enforcing DUI and traffic laws in our state.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food