Yes, summers in Phoenix can be excruciating, but come fall, it’s the Valley’s time to shine.
It’s the time of the year when many people start to flee cold-weather states — if just for a few days — in favor of Arizona’s capital and its surrounding suburbs.
A new two-minute spot promotes that idea to the hilt.
In the video, Visit Phoenix, a tourism website created by the Greater Phoenix Convention and Visitors Bureau, sells travelers on hiking opportunities set against great weather, as well as the downtown restaurants and art scene — including First Friday. The Visit Phoenix website takes it a step further, mentioning how film director John Ford and architect Frank Lloyd Wright loved the region. It also calls the Valley “Arizona’s urban heart and America’s sunniest metropolis.”
Tourism is one of the state’s biggest industries, and a July presentation by the Arizona Office of Tourism says travelers produced $19.8 billion in direct spending in 2013, resulting in $2.7 billion in federal, state and local tax revenue. Maricopa County was the recipient of $12 billion of the total direct spending. AOT also found there were 39.1 million overnight visitors (5.3 million of which were from out of country) last year. All numbers were up from the year prior.
If you already live in the Valley, the Visit Phoenix ad might give you a better appreciation of home. And if you have friends or family out of state, be sure to share the video with them. You may find some of them making plans to visit you before long.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development