Yes, summers in Phoenix can be excruciating, but come fall, it’s the Valley’s time to shine.
It’s the time of the year when many people start to flee cold-weather states — if just for a few days — in favor of Arizona’s capital and its surrounding suburbs.
A new two-minute spot promotes that idea to the hilt.
In the video, Visit Phoenix, a tourism website created by the Greater Phoenix Convention and Visitors Bureau, sells travelers on hiking opportunities set against great weather, as well as the downtown restaurants and art scene — including First Friday. The Visit Phoenix website takes it a step further, mentioning how film director John Ford and architect Frank Lloyd Wright loved the region. It also calls the Valley “Arizona’s urban heart and America’s sunniest metropolis.”
Tourism is one of the state’s biggest industries, and a July presentation by the Arizona Office of Tourism says travelers produced $19.8 billion in direct spending in 2013, resulting in $2.7 billion in federal, state and local tax revenue. Maricopa County was the recipient of $12 billion of the total direct spending. AOT also found there were 39.1 million overnight visitors (5.3 million of which were from out of country) last year. All numbers were up from the year prior.
If you already live in the Valley, the Visit Phoenix ad might give you a better appreciation of home. And if you have friends or family out of state, be sure to share the video with them. You may find some of them making plans to visit you before long.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them