Yes, summers in Phoenix can be excruciating, but come fall, it’s the Valley’s time to shine.
It’s the time of the year when many people start to flee cold-weather states — if just for a few days — in favor of Arizona’s capital and its surrounding suburbs.
A new two-minute spot promotes that idea to the hilt.
In the video, Visit Phoenix, a tourism website created by the Greater Phoenix Convention and Visitors Bureau, sells travelers on hiking opportunities set against great weather, as well as the downtown restaurants and art scene — including First Friday. The Visit Phoenix website takes it a step further, mentioning how film director John Ford and architect Frank Lloyd Wright loved the region. It also calls the Valley “Arizona’s urban heart and America’s sunniest metropolis.”
Tourism is one of the state’s biggest industries, and a July presentation by the Arizona Office of Tourism says travelers produced $19.8 billion in direct spending in 2013, resulting in $2.7 billion in federal, state and local tax revenue. Maricopa County was the recipient of $12 billion of the total direct spending. AOT also found there were 39.1 million overnight visitors (5.3 million of which were from out of country) last year. All numbers were up from the year prior.
If you already live in the Valley, the Visit Phoenix ad might give you a better appreciation of home. And if you have friends or family out of state, be sure to share the video with them. You may find some of them making plans to visit you before long.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.