AUSTIN — When many people think of Austin, Texas, they might think of any one of the city’s various Super Bowl-sized festivals such as Austin City Limits or South by Southwest.
However, the city is also becoming well-known for being one of the country’s fastest-growing economic engines because for the fourth year in a row. Earlier this year, Forbes Magazine named the Texas capital the fastest-growing city of 2014.
According to Forbes, the city’s low unemployment rate (4.89 percent), high median pay of $64,000, and population growth rate of 2.5 percent last year are once again reasons to make it the top city in the U.S.
Austin has not always been the model of economic growth that it is now, and it took a conscious effort to make the city what it is today.
According to Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell, the city’s original prosperity hinged on the tech industry.
“For many, many years we were kind of a sleepy college town — capital of the state of Texas,” Leffingwell said. “And then about 30 years ago, we began to build our technology economy and that’s when things really took off.”
The city’s tech boom saw the startup of Dell computers in the Austin suburb of Round Rock in 1984, as well as Austin itself becoming a manufacturing hub of computer parts, said Carlton Schwab, president of the Texas Economic Development Council.
“For a long time, like we are now in the Internet space, we were the downstream recipient of Silicon Valley in wafer manufacturing,” Schwab said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development