PHOENIX — A new poll released Sunday showed the race to succeed Republican Jan Brewer is a dead heat. Rasmussen Reports which conducted a survey of 850 likely voters, has rated Arizona a toss-up state when it comes to the next governor.
The poll found Republican Doug Ducey and Democrat Fred Duval would each get 40 percent of the vote. The survey’s margin of error is three percent. You can check out the wording of the poll here. While more voters are registered as Republicans than Democrats in Arizona, the number of people who identify as independent voters is larger than either party.
Both Ducey and Duval say jobs and education are priorities. Coming up with court-mandated cash for schools will be one of the first jobs for the next governor. During the recession, state lawmakers and Gov. Jan Brewer cut education funding and last year Arizona’s Supreme Court ruled they violated the will of voters by stopping annual inflation adjustments. Earlier this month, a Maricopa County judge ruled the state must boost K-12 funding by more than $1.5 billion over five years.
Arizona is one of nine toss-up states currently.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food