PHOENIX — An illegal killing of a juvenile desert tortoise has the Arizona Game and Fish Department searching for answers this weekend.
According to KPHO.com, non-game biologists last saw the tortoise, which carried a tracking device, alive on Aug. 18. It was found dead earlier this week 15 miles north of Fountain Hills.
The deceased tortoise, a female, was taking part in AGFD’s Sponsor A Turtle program as well as a long-term research study. As part of the study, she was tracked and located more than 300 times since 2010 using a transmitter.
“The illegal killing of wildlife is always a concern, especially when that animal is non-threatening like the tortoise and it’s part of a long-running research study,” said Josh Hurst, the Operation Game Thief coordinator for Game and Fish.
“The department has been conducting research for years to monitor and conserve desert tortoises – a protected species – in an effort to help keep them off the federal Endangered Species List,” Hurst said. “Now the study has one less animal and years of study data is compromised.”
The female was the first of 15 juveniles with the tracking devices to pass away.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns