PHOENIX — An illegal killing of a juvenile desert tortoise has the Arizona Game and Fish Department searching for answers this weekend.
According to KPHO.com, non-game biologists last saw the tortoise, which carried a tracking device, alive on Aug. 18. It was found dead earlier this week 15 miles north of Fountain Hills.
The deceased tortoise, a female, was taking part in AGFD’s Sponsor A Turtle program as well as a long-term research study. As part of the study, she was tracked and located more than 300 times since 2010 using a transmitter.
“The illegal killing of wildlife is always a concern, especially when that animal is non-threatening like the tortoise and it’s part of a long-running research study,” said Josh Hurst, the Operation Game Thief coordinator for Game and Fish.
“The department has been conducting research for years to monitor and conserve desert tortoises – a protected species – in an effort to help keep them off the federal Endangered Species List,” Hurst said. “Now the study has one less animal and years of study data is compromised.”
The female was the first of 15 juveniles with the tracking devices to pass away.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food